Saturday, March 5, 2011

Shrub Buds

On Thursday I attended a winter shrub workshop; specifically, how to identify shrubs and their benefits to wildlife. Okay, maybe that sounds totally boring, but it's not.

My ability to identify shrubs in winter is always in need of a refresher. For proper i.d. one needs to learn the buds -- whether opposite or alternate, naked or with scales, their color, size and shape. You might even find a clue in the taste or sniff of a broken shrub twig. Now, how fun is that!

This is much like re-learning the songs of returning songbirds each spring. I am an experiential learner. I need to see (or hear) things for myself and see them again and then again. Writing a blog the past two years has enabled me to spend a lot of time outdoors. Or perhaps it is the reverse. Spending lots of time outdoors for work and pleasure spawned my interest in writing a blog, and provided fodder for the regular posts. As this winter has dragged on, I've turned to studying winter buds. Give it a try. You will be surprised at the diversity and beauty found in small packages just outside your door. It makes a cold winter's day much more tolerable. As my young niece would say, "Who knows what treasures you might find."

Here is a sample of native (except the lilac) shrub buds and a few tips on their i.d. See if you can find some of these or other winter buds near you.

Beautiful cinnamon-colored, naked (no scales) buds of hobblebush 


Reddish-brown football-shaped stalked buds of speckled alder


Blueberry bud scales with long tapered tips;
twigs covered with raised speckles or warts


Bright red, pointed buds of maleberry


The 5-parted brown "nutlets" of maleberry persist through winter


Reddish twigs with silky hairs and opposite buds of silky dogwood


I also checked these lilac buds in our yard;
getting a bit antsy for spring blossoms


And the last one for this post, but of course not the least as it is my favorite:
the round golden buds of spicebush; break a twig and smell the spice

2 comments:

  1. I always enjoy seeing the pictures you post on your blog & learning from the accompanying posts - I always learn so much. I have found winter is a good time to see things that once the foliage comes in are hard to easily spot. My abilities are rather limited to spotting blackberry canes & poison ivy vines. Thanks again for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Allyson. I find the best way to enjoy winter is to get outside and walkabout. There really is a lot to see, as you say before the foliage obscures everything.

    ReplyDelete

First Walks of 2024

We rise early, well before sunrise. It helps to go to bed early. Fortunately the New Year's Eve celebratory fireworks in the neighborhoo...