Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Morning Dew

Yesterday morning I took Kodi for a walk to a nearby conservation area that has a trail through a field full of wildflowers. The grasses and flowers were covered in morning dew. Kodi sniffed the air, not liking the strong smell of coyote, I assume, that he sensed. While he wavered, I wandered around admiring the delicate spider webs covered in dew and lit by the rising sun.

This one I think is a marbled orbweaver (Araneus marmoreus) and a female given its large size (her body is about the size of my thumbnail). She has woven her web between several common milkweed plants. She too was covered in dew.




And here, I think, are a couple banded garden spiders (Argiope trifasciata).





Here are a couple non-orbweavers, although which spider lives here I do not know.



A field covered in morning dew is a great place and time to see spiders, such cool creatures that they are. Kodi was uninterested in the spider webs and less keen on the general feel of the place this morning, so we lingered only long enough for me to check out a few of these spiders.

No comments:

Post a Comment

First Walks of 2024

We rise early, well before sunrise. It helps to go to bed early. Fortunately the New Year's Eve celebratory fireworks in the neighborhoo...