Friday, August 10, 2012

Goldenrod

Goldenrod is my August flower. It forms beautiful natural bouquets in meadows and gardens and along roadsides. Sure, it can be a little bit aggressive, popping up in the perennial bed in unplanned places. But unwanted plants are easily pulled. Mostly I leave and enjoy, as does a host of bees, beetles, flies, dragonflies, and butterflies. The golden flowers on their tall arching stems are eye-catching, especially among the muted grasses and sedges and other fading flowers of mid-summer. When the goldenrods bloom I know summer is slowing down, just as the garden is overflowing with produce. When the goldenrods bloom I know it is time for canning tomatoes on a warm, sultry night. When the goldenrods bloom I know the birds and butterflies are on the move.

Our backyard meadow is full of goldenrod, along with Joe-pye-weed, boneset, cattail, sedges, and jewelweed, all lush and growing quite fine on their own. I wonder sometimes at the effort I put into weeding and thinning, mulching and watering the perennial beds to keep them looking nice, while the wild meadow self-sustains. Nature, it seems, is perfectly okay taking care of itself. I am reminded if this each late summer day as I walk around our backyard or through other meadows, enjoying the lovely bouquets of goldenrods.

Kodi and I frequently walk this conservation land--The Cole Farm in Newfields. The field is full of goldenrods.

No comments:

Post a Comment

First Walks of 2024

We rise early, well before sunrise. It helps to go to bed early. Fortunately the New Year's Eve celebratory fireworks in the neighborhoo...