Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Arugula and More Spinach

I lifted the Reemay off the low hoops to have a good look at the greens growing beneath. There was more spinach to harvest, which we enjoyed in a fresh salad for dinner. I clipped a couple handfuls of arugula for sandwiches the rest of the week. The cilantro and Swiss Chard are lush, but still too small to harvest. I watered the plants, since we've been light on rainfall lately. I also gave the newly planted peas a watering.

Arugula: planted seed last fall in October, first harvest was today.
Lush-looking cilantro, planted from seed last October
The bed of cilantro and arugula, protected all winter by the thin fabric of Reemay
The Swiss chard--planted as small seedlings last fall--
is sending up new, fresh stems; spinach in front, chard behind

A daily dose of gardening makes my day.

2 comments:

  1. Looks great Ellen. I'm so used to making small cold frames and such in our small urban yard that I forget how large hoops and remay can get when you have some room and land. That looks like a substantial collection of vegetables off to a very early start! And those chard completely dwarf the tiny little seedlings I transplanted into our garden yesterday.

    I think only those who garden know how exciting it is to see these first signs of life in early spring.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Ken,

    Yes, I am completely thrilled with these spring greens. I've never been able to grow spinach, as it gets too hot when I plant it from seed in spring. But this -- this is gourmet :-)

    Thanks for sharing your excitement!

    Ellen

    ReplyDelete

First Walks of 2024

We rise early, well before sunrise. It helps to go to bed early. Fortunately the New Year's Eve celebratory fireworks in the neighborhoo...